In June 2014 the HSE added new pages to its website that include guidance on the occupational health risks faced by employees.
The greatest risks to workers are:
- Respiratory diseases eg. asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Skin diseases
- Asbestos-related disease
- Noise-induced hearing damage
- Hand-arm vibration syndrome
- Musculoskeletal disease
This has been published by the HSE because it identified that many employers are ignoring their duties to manage these risks. The HSE should promote this information to encourage businesses to get on-board.
The HSE has identified that those working in the construction industry are at greatest risk. Inspections will be carried out in during the summer of 2014. Also, the HSE has used its guidance material on occupational health risks. It has published material by third party sources including those linked to the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health, and Safety Groups UK.
Below is a selection of our services that will benefit occupational health:
- Workplace Risk Assessments
- IOSH Working Safely – 1 day or 4 day course
- Asbestos Awareness online course – first module FREE
- Manual Handling online course – first module FREE
We can now provide asbestos surveys to all types of businesses and properties. Please contact us for more information.
This information is taken from our monthly Tips & Advice newsletter, sent to all Hawksafe clients, via email. This month’s newsletter also covers current issues relating to these topics:
- Health & Safety Systems
- Stone Masons Health Protection
- Construction Competency Changes